Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 38: Hogback Ridge Shelter, 315.0

What's happening all you muggles out there, it's Breeze.

Have you ever had a day where you felt a half a step behind for some reason? Like you just aren't with it like you usually are? Well I had one of those days today. And it's not like it was really awful weather, or there was nothing today to look at. On the contrary, the weather was near perfect all day long, and the terrain is really starting to transition to the Virginia landscape we've heard so much about how here. All and all, besides the mountain climbing, which we do everyday, it was a great day. But for whatever I just couldn't get with it. I was constantly out of breath, my feet hurt, and whenever I sat down I felt as if I had been permanently planted in place. It wasn't until mid afternoon that I found my familiar hiker groove. Having said all that, I am very proud of the 14.7 we put down today. It's nice to know that even on a bad day, I can still do decent miles.

There were all lot of positives about today, though. For instance, Wendy and I invented a new game! It's called "Spot the Shelter". Here's how you play: first person to see the shelter wins. But wait! We added twists! Once one of us audibly announces that we have seen the shelter, we must both stop moving and point the shelter out. The second person then has the opportunity to challenge the first person. If there is indeed no shelter, the person who called "shelter" loses one point. If there is a shelter, the shelter spotter gets a point and the challenger loses a point. No challenge signifies a forfeit in which the first responder receives the point. Today it got pretty intense as we got later in the day. I had a misfire on my first shelter sighting...everything is brown out here. Fortunately, I was able to spot the shelter first and get back to 0. By the end of the day, we were both kicking rocks and roots because we were scanning the mountainside for the 3-walled structure. I was even jumping to see over some hills...it's not fair Wendy is freaking 6'6"! But anyways...

Before I sign off, I just want to give a big shout out to all the boys and girls that follow the blog at Brookwood! You guys following along is a big reason why Wendy and I have so much fun doing the blog every day! Keeping checking in and maybe we'll summit Katahdin together someday.

Happy trails!

Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment