Thursday, May 9, 2013

5/8: Lost Mountain Shelter, 482.7

What's up peeps. As you could have guessed by the pattern, it's Breeze.

I love trail towns on the AT. Actually, I love pretty much everything about the trail, but towns are where the most socializing occurs. It's difficult to describe to people that have never long distance hiked, but there is such a sense of community out here. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone is so friendly. I guess it's kind of the way people should normally act to one another. From the moment we hit the streets of Damascus, thru hikers were calling our names and asking us how we've been. It's really cool to be a part of a culture like this one.

Ok, so this next part is for my brother Luke only. If your name isn't Luke, you can't read this next little segment. Nah, I'm just kidding. You can read it too. But dude, I met the coolest guy on the trail that I really wish you could sit down and talk to. His name is Burrito, and he's about like how I picture you when you're in your 50s. Burrito is a professional woodworker that builds and restores instruments. He mostly builds drums and Indian style flutes, but he also mentioned that he recently restored an 1860s fiddle! I mean wow. Shockingly, this isn't the coolest thing about him. Turns out he used to be the lead singer in a Led Zeppelin cover band! How sick is that? We had a pretty long conversation sitting at a bar in Damascus about his past jobs, but mostly music. We even talked for a few minutes about your hero, Paul Simon, and his Ovation guitar. So thanks for that little bit of knowledge! I can't wait for you to get your butt out here and do some hiking with me. This place would be like a dream come true for you.

Ok guys, sorry about that. Just had to have some brother time. Well today we hiked out of Damascus and did a 15 mile day, mostly in the rain. Blah! It's been so wet lately! And I've still got a little bit of a cold, but I'm getting better. Overall it was a pretty good day. We're getting so close to Grayson and the wild horses I can almost smell them!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment