Tuesday, May 21, 2013

5/14: Jenkins Shelter, 575.2

There are deer running all around this campsite! Wendy was just standing outside his tent and said, Dude, there is a deer standing 3 feet from me right now. Deer, I swear to God, if you so much as nibble on my tent, I'm going to kill you." Too funny. All the animal activity at this campsite has us a little more on edge than usual. This is because there is a sign at this shelter stating that there is an aggressive bear in the area and that we should be on guard....yikes!! The sign also states that if a bear does come to the shelter, you should attempt to fight it off, and that this shelter has been defended many times in this manner.  Hopefully we make I through the night! Haha, just a joke everyone.

Today was a really nice, average day on the trail. The highlight of the day was definitely a little bit of trail magic left just for me! One of our really good friends, Spider, found out if was my birthday yesterday, so he sat on the side of a random dirt road and waited for an hour and a half for someone to pass by. His goal was to get a hitch into a town and buy me a birthday cake. Unfortunately, the closest town was a long way away, so he settled on leaving me a nice cold Coors Light on the side of the trail with my name on it! What a super awesome guy. The best part about all of this is that lots of other thru hikers passed by the beer, but left it for me. Thru hikers are so great. 

Everything is going so great out here. I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring! 

Breeze


No comments:

Post a Comment