Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 9: Plumorchard Shelter

Hello all!

Wendy here with yet another trail update, this one hailing from Plumorchard shelter. We are only about 2 miles from the North Carolina line! Even though we will have only hiked 79 miles by then, it will still feel like quite an accomplishment to cross into a new state.

Today was an easy 4 mile day for us, however my knee does not seem to want to improve any. We will be taking a 0 mile day tomorrow in order to line up with Franklin (and also enjoy this sweet 14 person shelter!) I am hoping that this will help my knee out, I am really struggling on the downhill sections.

The shelter has been great so far, we are packed in like sardines! Breeze chose to hang his hammock despite the nasty weather but still got to hang around and enjoy the shelter atmosphere with me.

The star of the shelter tonight had to be Pink Panther. She is a 9 year old thru hiker along with her parents who are home schooling her 4th grade year largely on the trail. What an amazing family! She is quite the character herself. I haven't seen her stop eating for about 4 hours now, she has used her cute little girl powers to swindle samples of just about everyone's food!

I live to die another day,
Alex AKA Wendy

PS Can't wait to see my family and my wonderful fiancée in just a few days! Love you guys, thanks for all the support you have given me already.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you. It's 3 am and the wind is howling here... I'm not sure what kind of nasty weather you are having there but I'm glad you are in a shelter tonight!
    Hope the knee improves tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you too sweetheart! I might have nearly bought out Trader Joe's trail friendly goodies to bring to y'all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your knee gets to feeling better. my right knee locked up on me on trail between fontana dam and clingmans dome. did not know what was going on. ended up being an inflamed iliotibial band. the pain was on the outside of my knee, and it felt like it was rubbing everytime i would bend my knee. use two poles, take ibuprofen, and put cold wet wraps on it when you get to camp. am enjoying keeping up with your sojourn. good luck from cartersville. GAhickory

    ReplyDelete