Monday, June 3, 2013

5/29: Campsite, 690.0

Hello everyone, it's Breeze. With Wendy gone, it looks like you'll be stuck with me for the next few days. Although it might be fun to let Luke blog a day or two. I'll see if he's up to it.

It's been so much fun having Luke around all the time again. I've really gotten used to having him around over the years, so his absense has been odd for me. I've really enjoyed bringing him out here and introducing him to this whole new world of thru hiking. Hiking with Luke has really made me remember what it was like my first week on the trail. After being out here so long, I've grown accustomed to seeing beautiful wide open views, wildlife, and rivers - I see them every day. Luke on the other hand is coming from Statesboro, GA. For those who do not know, Statesboro may be the flattest place on earth. Coming from Statesboro to the middle of the Appalachians is like stepping into a whole new world.  Every time there is even the slightest gap in the trees, Luke will stop and say, "Wow, the views here are so big! Are we going to see views like this all the time?" All I can do is smile. With Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob on the horizon, I believe the phrase is, "you ain't seen nothin' yet". Luke is also experiencing the AT growing pains. Stuff like struggling up mountains, figuring out what gear mistakes he made, or trying to determine out much food to buy all sounded like problems from my first week. Unfortunately, this is a process every thru hiker must go through. No matter how much advice you get or research you do, there are certain things you can only learn and figure out first hand. Luke is catching on very fast.

I'm really glad we are redoing this section of the trail. Rehiking the trail recalls a lot of memories from just a short time ago. I'm sure Luke is tired of me doing it, but all day I will tell him about stuff I did the first time I was here.

"Hey man, Wendy and I climbed this rock wall!" Or "Luke, this is the campsite where I met Aquaman!" Good times :).

Well, that's it for me. Talk to you tomorrow.

Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment