Sunday, June 2, 2013

5/27: 17 mile Slackpack into Daleville, 739.6

Hello everyone, it's Breeze. Daleville has been awesome! Wendy and I have had the best time hanging out with the ole gang, bumming around town from restaurant to restaurant. Today all of us decided to do a little southbound slack packing back to Daleville so that we could both do some hiking during the day and stay at the Howard Johnson one more night. Our master plan went off without a hitch! I was able to hike over 16 miles today and return "home" to a bed and food that I didn't have to cook.

Hanging out today with everyone was awesome! When you hike with the same people for multiple days, you really get to know them. Take Wooden Spoon for instance. She is an awesome girl that works in north Georgia as a therapist for people with mental disabilities. Her main focus is wilderness/nature therapy. She got her trail name because she makes wooden spoons as a hobby/side job. Some of her stuff is really cool! You should find her company on Facebook: Three Birds Spoon Company. I also found out that she worked at Philmont Scout Ranch while I was there back in 2007! Small world, right? While Wooden Spoon and I were talking about the Boy Scouts, Violet overheard that I was an Eagle Scout. She was thrilled to hear this because she came from a whole family of Eagle Scouts, including her dad and all her brothers. We talked for a while about all our scouting experiences and about my Eagle Scout Project (which she loved! ). For those that do not know, I built 2 large wheelchair accessible gardening boxes for a local nursing home.

If you've been following the blog, by now you've seen me mention Fool Hardy and Tumbleweed. They are an awesome couple from Maryland that have been together for over 6 years now. Tumbleweed is a comicbook artists that has some amazing stuff on her website. Google Jessi Sheron if you want to have your mind blown with her talent! Aquaman is another guy I've mentioned before. He went to school ride down the road from me at Auburn for Horticulture before moving out west. His thru hike is dedicated to his grandfather, whom died of ALS a few years back.  He is doing a charity walk to help raise money and awareness for this deadly disease.

I just thought I would take a moment and introduce you to just a handful of the amazing people I have met while thru hiking. What an incredible group.

Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment